Free, Instant, no obligation advice from our friendly solicitors


Request a call back now



or

Call us today

0800 888 6888
START YOUR CLAIM NOW

Sharm el Sheikh: Grandmother & Grandson Contract Salmonella

A grandmother and her 10 month old grandson claim their ‘holiday of a lifetime’ to Egypt was ruined when they both contracted salmonella food poisoning.

Four-star Resort

Joanne Ramshaw, her children Gemma and Jordon, along with her grandson Jayden, travelled to Sharm el Sheikh in February last year. As the family of four was nearing the end of their stay at the four-star Siva Sharm Resort, booked with Red Sea Holidays, Joanne and Jayden began to feel unwell.

On the flight home, Joanne claims that Jayden became distressed and suffered from a high temperature. However at this time, Joanne herself was suffering and was therefore unable to look after her grandson.

Salmonella Food Poisoning

After returning to the UK, Jayden was admitted to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary where he was diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning. After Jayden’s week long stay in hospital, Joanne was still feeling unwell herself and after further tests, it was revealed that she too had contracted salmonella.

Joanne claims to have continues to feel ill weeks after their return from Egypt, suffering numerous symptoms including stomach cramps, dizziness, lethargy and diarrhoea. Due to Jayden’s young age, he is still suffering eleven months after the holiday and his illness has actually led to an altered bowel habit.

‘Swarming with flies’

Joanne is now demanding to know why and how they became so ill whilst on holiday. She said:

“We spent months saving and looking forward to a special trip abroad together but both I and Jayden ended up so ill that we now wish we’d never booked the holiday.”

Joanne alleges that the hotel did not deserve its four star rating and claims that flies were “swarming”, as well as under cooked food being served in hotel restaurants.

She claimed:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if other guests were unwell because the conditions certainly weren’t four-star.

“Hopefully we can get some answers as to why we fell so ill.”

Joanne added:

“It was just awful, Jayden was in hospital on a drip to keep him hydrated and had tubes up his nose as he wasn’t eating. It was terrible, the worst time of my life. Jayden hasn’t been the same since.”

A spokesman for Red Sea Holidays has said:

“Red Sea Holidays is currently investigating the matter. However, as this has escalated to a legal level we are unable to comment at this time.”

Holiday Illness Claims – Expert Advice

Shiamli Mehta-Cronie, Travel Law expert here at Hampson Hughes Solicitors said:

“Cases like these, while alarming, are unfortunately not uncommon. Poor practices of food and hygiene standards in resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh are on the rise. If you believe that you have contracted food poisoning during a holiday in Sharm el-Sheikh, contact our dedicated Travel Team today for your FREE no-obligation consultation. Whatever your circumstances, we may be able to help you to secure maximum personal injury compensation. For further information, please see our food poisoning abroad claims page.”

For more information as to whether or not you are able to claim compensation following illness whilst on an all-inclusive package holiday, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today for free and friendly, no obligation advice on 0800 888 6888 or email claims@hampsonhughes.com

Welcome Back


We noticed on your last visit you didn't finalise your details, for your convenience we have kept your details as you left them.