Our expert team of holiday illness solicitors were recently instructed by a client after their luxury all-inclusive holiday was ruined by poor food and hygiene standards.
Wayne Pickering booked a two week stay at 4* The Bahia Principe Hotel, based in the Punta Cana resort in the Dominican Republic.
Holiday illness symptoms
Unfortunately Mr Pickering began to feel unwell just a few days into the package holiday. He suffered with diarrhoea, abdominal cramps and fatigue, as well as a raised temperature.
Our client avers that his symptoms were a result of the poor food and hygiene standards he witnessed at the hotel.
Mr Pickering reports that there was a number of issues relating to the hotel restaurant. According to the claimant:
• There was a buffet style food service available and the food served was often tepid in temperature
• Food was left uncovered
• The food was of poor quality
• Meat and fish products were served partially cooked
• Dishes appeared to have been reheated
• Hot food was often added to trays containing cooler food of the same type
• Members of the catering team did not appear to monitor food temperature
Mr Pickering’s symptoms lasted a total of 20 days and as a result, he was unable to properly enjoy his time in the Dominican Republic. Day to day activities were restricted whilst on holiday and upon his return to the UK.
Hampson Hughes Solicitors managed to secure damages amounting to £1,780 on this occasion.
Holiday illness claims – expert advice
If you believe that your holiday illness symptoms are linked to poor hygiene standards within your package deal hotel, you may be entitled to holiday illness compensation. There are certain steps that you could take in support of your claim:
• Note all important dates
• Report any hygiene issues to your holiday rep
• Document any suspected poor hygiene (e.g. photo, video)
For further information on holiday sickness compensation, please see our ‘Package Holiday Claims’ page.
To discover how much compensation you could be entitled to, call our expert team of travel law solicitors today for instant answers. Whatever your experience with holiday sickness, we may be able to help. We offer you a FREE no-obligation consultation. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.