Accidents On Holiday

Accident On Holiday

Government statistics released by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office reveal that worldwide, 3,739 British citizens required hospital treatment following an illness or accident abroad in 2011/2012. This averages 71 people per week

Your tour operator, airline, and hotel staff have a duty of care to ensure your safety and to provide you with a safe and hygienic environment. If you have suffered an illness or injury abroad, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Common injuries include:

  • Food poisoning from the hotel restaurant
  • Injured whilst on an arranged day excursion
  • Accident as a passenger whilst travelling in a car, coach or taxi
  • Tripping over a defective path or slipping on a wet floor in the hotel
  • Sports accident due to poorly maintained or faulty equipment, e.g. skiing accident
  • Road traffic accident whilst driving a rental car, motorcycle, minibus or as a pedestrian

If your holiday was booked through a travel agent as part of a package holiday, it is likely that you will be able to make your claim in the UK, rather than, for example, having to bring a claim directly against a hotel owner in a foreign country.

If you are involved in a car accident abroad, you can still claim in your home country even if the foreign driver is not insured.

Different laws in different countries can make claiming a complex process – our expert solicitors will take care of everything

If you think you, or someone you know, has been affected by an illness or injury abroad, and would like expert advice on this type of case, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email

Claim Your Free iPad or Cash Advance