Engineering Firm Fined after Workers Suffer Severe Burns
A Birmingham based engineering firm has been fined following an incident in which two workers suffered serious electrical burns.
Employees of engineering firm C.I.S.M Limited were carrying out work at the former McKenzie Brass site on Middlemore Lane in Aldridge, Walsall, when the incident occurred. Specifically, the company had been contracted to remove electrical cable and equipment from the site.
While carrying out an electrical check inside a switchgear, a sub-contracted electrician accessed the live bus bar. As he did so, there was an electrical arc and discharge, resulting in the electrician and another worker suffering severe electrical burns.
HSE Investigation & Fines
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the electrician was not qualified to carry out work on high voltage systems. The current at the terminal in question was 6,600 volts; however investigators discovered that the electrician was using a tester suitable for use on 240-410 volt equipment.
After pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 13(2) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007, C.I.S.M. Limited, of Partons Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham, was fined a total of £50,000. The company was also ordered to pay costs of £7,863.
Injury at Work – Expert Advice
If you have been injured in the workplace you could be entitled to personal injury compensation. Remember, we offer you a FREE no-obligation consultation – discover today whether you have a claim. Speak to one of our professional and friendly advisers today on 0800 888 6 888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Health & Safety Executive