Glass Manufacturer Prosecuted for Safety Failings
A Chester based firm that manufactures glass has admitted to serious safety breaches after a flash fire injured two employees.
Two employees of Encirc Ltd suffered burns to their faces and hands after a gas canister exploded in May 2014.
Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard how the employees were welding pieces on work benches when a gas canister exploded. The court heard that there were flammable aerosols stored where the employees were working; causing a flash fire to start and both men were injured.
Other employees were also put at risk as oxyacetylene welding was taking place in the same area, increasing the likelihood of another explosion.
It was revealed following an inspection by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) that no one had carried out a risk assessment or provided operatives with instruction relating to the use and storage of flammable substances when working.
Following the inspection, HSE deduced that the firm had failed to assess the risk, to implement regulation measures and that the firm had also failed in its duties towards its employees.
Prosecution & Fines
After pleading guilty to breaches of Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, Encirc Ltd was fined £1,800 and ordered to pay costs of £4,840.90.
HSE Inspector Jane Carroll said after the hearing:
“This case highlights the fact that a failure to properly assess the risks within a workplace and take effective remedial action can lead to poor practices developing and employees being injured.”
Injury at Work – Expert Advice
We are personal injury claims experts – our specialist accident claims solicitors are here to provide you with on-going valuable support.
If you have been injured in the workplace and you would like expert advice on this type of case, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for FREE initial consultation.
Source: Health & Safety Executive