Worker from Liverpool ‘lucky to be alive’ after cutting through mains cable
A labourer from Merseyside is lucky to be alive after he cut through a mains electricity cable.
Construction firm Vermont Capitol Ltd had been hired to clear a site before building a block of student flats at the end of a row of Grade-II-listed Regency terraced houses.
The 22-year-old worker was asked to remove old pipes and cables from the cellar, and was under the impression that the electricity supply had been disconnected.
However, he was thrown across the room after his angle grinder hit the live wires, suffering serious injuries to his elbow and shoulder.
An investigation into the incident found that Vermont Capitol had failed to ensure the mains supply into the building had been disconnected, despite informing the site manager that it had.
What was the outcome?
Vermont Capitol Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 by failing to identify the live mains cable, and was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay £980 in costs.
HSE Inspector, Chris Hatton,said:
“This young worker is extremely lucky to be alive after suffering an
electric shock from a mains cable likely to be
carrying at least 240 volts of power.
“The team on the site had been told all of the utilities entering the
site had been disconnected and so the worker had no way
of knowing he was actually cutting into
a live electricity cable.
“It’s vital that developers take the risks seriously from gas pipes
and electricity cables and get written confirmation that
supplies have been disconnected before starting work.
Otherwise lives will continue to be put at risk.”
If you have been affected by an accident at work, and you would like expert advice, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: View article