Start Your Claim Today

Send us your details, and one of our experts will be in touch.

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your details!

One of our legal specialists will review your details and call you back within 24 hours to discuss this further.

Alternatively to speak to a specialist
for FREE call us now on 0800 888 6888

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your feedback!

We take all of our feedback seriously so we can learn what we're doing right, wrong and how we can improve.

If you would like to speak to us regarding your feedback please email us at compliance@hampsonhughes.com

Care home prosecuted after death of vulnerable resident

The owner of a care home in Leicester has been in court after a vulnerable resident died from serious burns.

What happened?

In May 2012 85-year-old Walter Powley had been admitted to Western Park View care home after his occupational therapist had advised his family that his risk of falling was too great for him to be safely left home alone.

The court heard that four days after being admitted, Mr Powley fell in his room and became trapped between a wardrobe and a radiator.

He sustained serious injuries as a result, including burns right through the skin of his right leg from the radiator pipe and valves, along with burns to both legs from hot water leaking from the valve.

He died in hospital from his injuries eight days later.

An investigation into the incident found that he pipes and valves at the care home had not been covered, and were around 73 degrees centigrade to touch.

Additionally the care home was a aware that Mr Powley was at risk of falls, but the company failed to assess his room and take satisfactory action to control and manage any risks.

What was the outcome?

Western Park Leicester Ltd was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay a further £35,000 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

HSE inspector, Dr Richenda Dixon, said:

“This was a foreseeable and preventable fatal incident. While most
of the residents at Western Park View are physically disabled
with limited mobility, Walter was not. He was more
mobile, and known to be so, hence at greater
danger from any risks in his room.

“The scalding or burning risks from the pipes were longstanding
and could have caused injury to any resident. Western Park
Leicester failed to heed published guidance from HSE
about the need to cover hot pipes and valves.
Had they been covered or boxed-in Walter’s
death could have been prevented.”

Source: View article

Free Advice

We offer a free legal consultation
to every potential client

No Win No Fee

Many of our claims are offered on
No Win No Fee payment terms

Use our App

Our Free App allows you to
manage your compensation claim

9/10

of our clients were
completely satisfied

9/10

of our clients would
use us again

9/10

of our clients would
recommend our services

65M

in compensation
won for our clients

Screenshot of the Claim Test used to check if you have a claim

Find out how much you can claim with our compensation calculator

It's really quick and easy, find out in 30 seconds.

See what you're owed!
Call us FREE on
0800 888 6888
or request a call back