Free, Instant, no obligation advice from our friendly solicitors

Request a call back now


Call us today

0800 888 6888

Rugby Player Jailed for Grievous Bodily Harm

A 25 year old rugby player has been jailed after he kicked an opponent so hard that he was left disfigured.


Members of Derby based Leesbrook Rugby Club were scheduled to play against Nottingham side Paviors on 3rd October 2015.

However when 35 year old David Smith scored a try for Paviors, John Scowby – captain of the Leesbrook side – proceeded to kick Smith in the head with such force his face caved in.

Derby Crown Court heard how Scowby stood over his victim and said “Take that” before delivering the blow, afterwards telling Smith “I owed you”.


Mr Smith has been left disfigured by the attack and has already had major surgery. He now faces a further £10,000 in dental bills. In a victim impact statement, Smith said:

“Everyone now associates me with my disfigured face and not the good player that I was.”

Sonal Ahya, prosecuting, said:

“Without warning or provocation, the defendant kicked Mr Smith in the mouth, saying, “Take that”. One of his front teeth dropped out, there was blood everywhere, his gums and teeth were concaved.”


When questioned by police, Scowby described the incident as an “accident” but later admitted grievous bodily harm.
Alwyn Jones, defending, added:

“It was a moment of madness – out of character.”

Scowby, a 25 year old construction worker, was jailed for a total of 16 months.

Criminal Injuries – Expert Advice

Criminal injuries compensation may be available if you have experienced physical trauma or psychological trauma as a result of a violent crime. Speaking to a member of our team about your criminal injury may be the first time that you have spoken to anybody about your experience – this is common among our clients. We guarantee complete confidentiality throughout your claim.

We understand that if you have been subjected to an act of violence, your thoughts will turn to making a full recovery – compensation will likely be the last thing on your mind.

There is, however, a government Scheme that provides compensation to victims or their families who have been the innocent victims of violent crime. The Scheme is called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme and is governed by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

If you would like expert advice on this type of case, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6 888 or email

Source: Daily Mail

Welcome Back

We noticed on your last visit you didn't finalise your details, for your convenience we have kept your details as you left them.