Start Your Claim Today

Send us your details, and one of our experts will be in touch.

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your details!

One of our legal specialists will review your details and call you back within 24 hours to discuss this further.

Alternatively to speak to a specialist
for FREE call us now on

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your feedback!

We take all of our feedback seriously so we can learn what we're doing right, wrong and how we can improve.

If you would like to speak to us regarding your feedback please email us at

Illegal gas fitter puts families at risk

Monwar Ali has been fined after illegally carrying out gas work at two homes in Hyde, putting the lives of two families at risk.

What happened?

A court heard that the 40-year-old had been paid £21,000 to carry out a loft conversion at a house on Norbury Avenue in 2011.

Despite being unqualified and unregistered to do so, he removed the flue pipe connected to the boiler. The pipe wasn’t replaced for almost two months, allowing fumes to spill into the house.

During a routine annual check two months later the boiler was classified as being immediately dangerous, and the family was forced to move it downstairs with new pipework at an additional cost to them of nearly £500.

Additionally, the court heard that Mr Ali had also been contracted to build a two-floor extension to a house on Harbour Farm Road during the same year.

Despite not being registered to perform the work he had included the Gas Safe Register logo on his quote, incorrectly giving the customer the impression he was able to carry out gas work.

He was paid almost £50,000 for the work, and moved the gas boiler on two occasions.

What was the outcome?

Monwar Ali pleaded guilty to six breaches of the Gas Safety Regulations 1998 between 28 December 2010 and 31 August 2011.

He was ordered to pay £2,000 towards prosecution costs, and carry out 220 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months.

HSE Inspector, Ian Betley, said:

“Monwar Ali put the lives of two families at risk by working on gas boilers
at two properties without the appropriate training and without
being registered to work with gas.

“One of the boilers was found to be immediately dangerous and it’s only luck
that no one was seriously harmed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Gas work has the potential to be extremely dangerous if it isn’t carried
out by trained professionals. Mr Ali knew he wasn’t up to the job
but he still took money for work he wasn’t qualified to
do, putting profit before safety.”

If you have been affected by an incident such as this, and you would like expert advice, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email

Source: View article

Free Advice

We offer a free legal consultation
to every potential client

No Win No Fee

Many of our claims are offered on
No Win No Fee payment terms

Use our App

Our Free App allows you to
manage your compensation claim

Landscape TrustPilot Widget Mobile Landscape TrustPilot Widget


of our clients were
completely satisfied


of our clients would
use us again


of our clients would
recommend our services


in compensation
recovered for our clients

Screenshot of the Claim Test used to check if you have a claim

Find out how much you can claim with our compensation calculator

It's really quick and easy, find out in 30 seconds.

See what you're owed!
Call us FREE on

or request a call back