Plumber sentenced after fitting dangerous gas boiler
A plumber has been in court after he carried out illegal and dangerous gas work at a home in Essex.
John Ranfield was hired to carry out plumbing work on a downstairs cloakroom. While carrying out the work, he also agreed to install a domestic gas-fired boiler – despite not being competent to do so, or part of the Gas Safe Register as the law requires.
The 63-year-old attached the boiler to the existing flue without carrying out the required checks, leaving the boiler with an unstable flame, and potentially exposing the householders to carbon monoxide.
What was the outcome?
John Ranfield pleaded guilty to breaching the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was sentenced to 150 hours of unpaid community service to be carried out over the next year and ordered to pay costs of £500.
HSE Inspector, Kim Tichias, said:
“John Ranfield should have known better than to accept a job he
was not qualified, competent, or legally allowed to do.
“People can die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning
and gas explosions. It is therefore vital that only
registered gas engineers, who are trained
and competent, work on gas
appliances and fittings.”
If you have been affected by an incident such as this, and you would like expert advice, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: View article