Start Your Claim Today

Send us your details, and one of our experts will be in touch.

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your details!

One of our legal specialists will review your details and call you back within 24 hours to discuss this further.

Alternatively to speak to a specialist
for FREE call us now on

Successfull form submission tick

Thanks for your feedback!

We take all of our feedback seriously so we can learn what we're doing right, wrong and how we can improve.

If you would like to speak to us regarding your feedback please email us at

Firm fined after child’s head trapped in electric gate

A firm in Leicester has been in court after it failed to ensure adequate guarding was installed on an electric gate that trapped a young child at a primary school in Stourbridge.

What happened?

The court heard that an eight-year-old boy suffered injuries when his head became trapped between the edge of the closing gate and the gate post.

The boy’s father was with him when the incident occurred, and desperately tried to hold the gate to prevent it from closing further.

He just about managed to pull the gate open enough to release his son’s head, but the youngster suffered significant bruising to the right side of his head and ear.

An investigation into the incident found that the entrance gate of Pedmore Primary School had been automated by Access Control Solutions (UK) Ltd, but suitable guarding had not been installed.

Though the firm had identified that guarding was needed, it hadn’t been installed because the gate, which had been manufactured by another company, wasn’t the dimensions that was expected so the guarding wouldn’t fit.

What was the outcome?

Access Control Solutions (UK) Ltd was fined £3,300 with £773 costs, after pleading guilty to breaching the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.

HSE inspector, Sarah Palfreyman, said:

“This was an extremely traumatic event for the boy and his father.
Fortunately, the youngster was back at school a couple of days
later and he has not suffered any long term effects. However,
it could have been a different story had he been trapped
by a different part of his head, or had it happened
to a younger child.

“The incident was entirely preventable. Access Control Solutions
identified the need for the guard in their own job
specification but when the gate arrived, it was
not the type expected the guard did not fit.

“At this point they should have either come up with an alternative
or postponed the job until the problem was rectified, especially
as they were fully aware that the entrance would be used by
a particularly vulnerable group – young children.

“People getting trapped a well-known risk in the industry and HSE
has produced safety notes on the subject due to a number of
fatalities involving children in recent years. I would
encourage all suppliers and installers of
electric gates to read it.”

If you have been affected by an incident such as this, and you would like expert advice, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today on 0800 888 6888 or email

Source: View article

Free Advice

We offer a free legal consultation
to every potential client

No Win No Fee

Many of our claims are offered on
No Win No Fee payment terms

Use our App

Our Free App allows you to
manage your compensation claim

Landscape TrustPilot Widget Mobile Landscape TrustPilot Widget


of our clients were
completely satisfied


of our clients would
use us again


of our clients would
recommend our services


in compensation
recovered for our clients

Screenshot of the Claim Test used to check if you have a claim

Find out how much you can claim with our compensation calculator

It's really quick and easy, find out in 30 seconds.

See what you're owed!
Call us FREE on

or request a call back