Tag: historic child sexual abuse

Greggs Heir Convicted of Child Sexual Abuse

Colin Gregg, the heir to the Greggs bakery chain, has been convicted of historic child sexual abuse.

Denial

The 75 year old from Gosforth, Newcastle, originally denied sexually abusing four boys over a 30 year period, beginning in 1963.

Following a month long trial at Leeds Crown Court, a jury found Gregg guilty of nine counts of indecent assault on boys aged 10 to 14.

The trial in Leeds was a retrial, after a jury in Newcastle last month failed to reach a verdict.

The court heard how the sexual abuse of one of the boys took place in a swimming pool, while others were abused at a gym in Gregg’s home.

Gregg, who was released on bail, will be sentenced on 30 March.

Prison sentence ‘inevitable’

Judge Robin Mairs told the paedophile that the fact he was granting bail was no indication of sentence and that a prison sentence is inevitable. He said:

“These are serious matters and a custodial sentence is inevitable.”

Northumbria Police added that Gregg was “in a position of trust which he used to sexually exploit children”.

A spokesperson for children’s charity the NSPCC said:

“Gregg shamelessly betrayed the trust vulnerable young children placed in him and his sickening campaign of abuse will have had life-long effects on his victims.

“It is thanks to their bravery in speaking out that he’s finally been brought to justice.

“Gregg probably thought he got away with these crimes but this case is proof that victims of abuse will be listened to, no matter how much time has passed.”

Sexual abuse claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual abuse or non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse and assault claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times.

For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: BBC News

Football Coach Arrested for Child Sexual Abuse

Close up image of a football on a football pitch

Another widely respected football coach, who is responsible for helping launch the careers of a number of household names, has been arrested on suspicion of child sexual abuse.

Career

Michael Sean ‘Kit’ Carson coached at Norwich City from 1983 until 1993, before moving to Peterborough United. There he spent eight years, from 1993 to 2001, as Academy director. A string of players he coached at Peterborough went on to play at Premier League level.

After leaving Peterborough United, Carson went on to become head of talent development at Cambridge United between 2001 and 2005.

Arrested on suspicion of child sexual abuse

The 73 year old coach was arrested at the end of January on suspicion of indecency with children and indecent assault.

Carson’s two former clubs have been working closely with police since the child sexual abuse in football scandal hit headlines last at the end of 2016.

Carson has since been released on bail until March 6th 2017.

Connection to Bob Higgins

Bob Higgins, the former Southampton coach who has been named in connection with allegations of historical child sexual abuse, also worked at Peterborough while Carson was there. The pair would have worked together for around 12 months at the club.

Carson paid tribute to the efforts of Higgins while at the club, telling the Peterborough Guardian when he left:

Higgins has denied all allegations of child sexual abuse.

“He has done a wonderful job with the youth team this season.”

Cambridge police appeal for information

In a statement, Cambridgeshire police said:

“Police investigating historical allegations of abuse related to football in Cambridgeshire have arrested a man.

“Detectives arrested the man at a property in Cambridge [on Friday] morning. The man, who is in his 70s and from Cambridge, has been arrested on suspicion of indecency with children and indecent assault. He is currently in custody.

“Officers are working closely with partners, including the Football Association, the local children’s safeguarding boards for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, Cambridge and Peterborough United, the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough clinical commissioning group, and Cambridgeshire county and Peterborough city councils.

“We would encourage anyone with concerns about these allegations to contact police on 101 or the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.”

Sexual abuse & assault claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual abuse or non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse and assault claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times.

For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: BBC News; Guardian

101 Year Old Man Faces Jail for Historical Sex Abuse

Image of Birmingham Crown Court

Today Ralph Clark, a retired lorry driver, was convicted of a total of 30 historic sex abuse offences. At 101 years old, Mr Clark is thought to be the oldest defendant ever to stand trial in a British court.

Historical sex abuse

Standing trial at Birmingham Crown Court, Mr Clark pleaded guilty to nine historic sex abuse charges relating to a young boy. However, a jury found him guilty of a further 21 assault and indecency offences, relating to two girls he attacked in the 1970s and 80s.

The court heard how Mr Clark told police he was ‘immune to feelings’, describing his actions as “something that happened” for which he showed no real remorse. Prosecutors added the man was “lucid” with an “excellent memory”.

Detective Constable Emma Fennon from West Midlands Police’s historical sex abuse team also described Mr Clark’s offences “horrific”, confirming that Clarke showed no remorse.

Possible prison sentence

Discussing the merits of sending a 101 year old individual to prison, Det Con Fennon added:

“The day that not prosecuting someone who hurts a child is not in the public interest, we may as well all pack up and go home.”

She went on to say that his age was “no defence to what he has done”.

While Judge Richard Bond, presiding over the case, told the court he needed to “ponder with care” regarding the sentence handed to Mr Clark and that the public would be ‘horrified’ if he did not receive a custodial sentence. He added:

“The reality is that he’s so old it’s unlikely he’ll be released back into the community.”

Mr Clark, who was born in 1915, is due to be sentenced next week.

Sexual abuse claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual abuse or by any instance of non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times. For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: BBC News; Guardian