Worker Suffers Serious Burns in Workplace Accident
Two firms have been fined after a man suffered serious electrical burns to his face, arms and hands in a workplace accident.
Accident at work
The 28 year old man, employed by Park, Gate and company Ltd (PGC), was carrying out electrical work for Armstrong World Industries Limited (AWI) at a site in Gateshead on 21 December 2014 when the incident occurred.
During the work, the employee cut a live cable, causing serious burns to his face, arms and hands.
The Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation into the incident and found that neither firm had adequately identified if the cables were live or dead before starting the work.
Furthermore, Park Gate failed to provide workers with a safe system of work.
Sentencing and fines
Park, Gate and Company Ltd of Kingstown Broadway, Kingstown Industrial Estate, Carlisle pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. the company was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,012.52.
Armstrong World Industries Limited, of Armstrong House, Market Square, Uxbridge pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. The company was fined £400,000 and ordered to pay costs of £13,082.92.
HSE inspector Victoria Crofton said following the hearing:
“There were serious failures on the part of both companies in this case. Electricity supplies should be made dead and proved to be dead before work starts.”
Accident at work compensation – expert advice
Compensation may be available if you have been injured in a workplace accident that wasn’t your fault. More information can be found via our ‘Accidents at Work’ page.
To begin your injury at work claim, contact us today. Remember, we offer you a FREE no obligation-consultation. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Health & Safety Executive