Holiday Illness: Couple Demand Answers after Husband Contracts Sepsis
A man has been left unable to work again after contracting sepsis at a Mexican hotel on what was supposed to be a ‘dream holiday’.
Severe gastric illness
Clive Roberts, 62, ended up in intensive care after he and his wife Caroline returned from their holiday at the luxury Barceló Maya Tropical resort. On their first day back in the UK, Mr Roberts developed a severe gastric illness, suffering with symptoms such as vomiting, a fever and diarrhoea, whilst at his job as a scaffolder.
After a visit to his GP, Mr Roberts was advised to go straight to A&E as his symptoms were so severe. Upon his arrival at Worthing Hospital’s A&E, he was admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) where he was diagnosed with Sepsis and Haemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). HUS is a severe and often life-threatening complication that occurs in about 10% of those infected with E.coli and can often lead to kidney failure.
The trip to Mexico was supposed to be a celebration of Mrs Roberts’ 60th birthday; however the couple now demand answers, after their luxury holiday ended in a stay in ICU. They have sought legal advice and are urging anyone suffering with similar symptoms after staying at the Barceló Maya Tropical resort.
Health & hygiene concerns
According to Mr Roberts, the couple have a number of concerns regarding the health and hygiene standards at the resort. They claim they often saw birds pecking at uncovered food in the hotel restaurants, as well as food that was supposed to be kept chilled being served at room temperature.
Mr Roberts said:
‘This was supposed to be an enjoyable holiday to celebrate Caroline’s 60th birthday in style.
‘The hotel really wasn’t up to the standards we had expected and we were left disappointed.
‘To fall seriously ill immediately after coming back to the UK and end up spending three weeks in hospital has meant the memories of Caroline’s 60th birthday have been ruined forever.
‘We want to know what caused me to fall so ill and that the hygiene concerns will be looked into, so that other people will not go through the ordeal we have endured.’
A spokesman for Barceloa has provided the following statement:
‘Mr and Mrs Roberts stayed at the Barcelo Maya Hotel in Mexico from March 3 to 17, 2015.
‘We read in the MailOnline that he was diagnosed with sepsis after he returned home to England.
‘We hope that he has made a full recovery. Mr and Mrs Roberts have not been in touch with the hotel since their stay in March 2015.
‘The hotel adheres to all health and safety inspections. We take the wellbeing of our guests extremely seriously and will conduct every necessary investigation.’
Holiday illness claims – expert advice
Shiamli Mehta-Cronie, Head of Travel Law here at Hampson Hughes Solicitors said:
‘Tour operators need to be held accountable for the failures of their hotels and resorts. Deficiencies in hygiene standards breed infection and cause outbreaks of illness causing symptoms of sickness, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and dehydration.
‘If you believe that you have contracted food poisoning whilst on a package holiday, contact our dedicated Travel Team today for your FREE no-obligation consultation. Whatever your circumstances, we may be able to help you to secure maximum personal injury compensation. For further information, please see our food poisoning abroad claims page.’
For more information as to whether or not you are able to claim compensation following illness whilst on an all-inclusive package holiday, contact Hampson Hughes today for free and friendly, no obligation advice on 0800 888 6 888 or email
Source: About-HUS; Mail Online