Teenager Receives 6 Figure Compensation Pay-out for Holiday Illness
Bradie Perkins was thirteen when he caught a potentially fatal illness whilst holidaying in Turkey with his family.
One of Twenty Seven
Bradie was one of twenty seven individuals who fell ill in October 2010 whilst staying at the Holiday Village in the Sarigerme area of Dalaman.
Due to what his family claim was poor food hygiene at the resort, the teenager had to be taken to hospital on two occasions after suffering from dehydration, severe diarrhoea and stomach cramps.
Bradie was diagnosed with a parasitic infection, giardiasis, as well as E.coli and a kidney condition, haemolytic uraemic syndrome. The latter has left the teenager with kidneys that only work at two thirds of their regular function.
Career Hopes Dashed
Before the trip to Turkey, Bradie had aspired to join the navy, however due to the kidney condition he contracted Bradie is unable to pursue his dream career. Now eighteen and studying for his A-levels, Bradie has told of how he was ‘devastated’ when he learnt that he cannot fulfil his dream of a naval career.
He went on to say:
“I’ll have to live with the effects of my illness forever and will always be watching what I eat or worrying about where to go on holiday.”
Undercooked & Uncovered Food
The Perkins family have claimed that they witnessed left over food being reused and simply ‘topped up’ the following day in the hotel restaurant, along with food sometimes being undercooked. They have also claimed that food at the resort was often left uncovered and so unprotected from the flies, insects and cats which frequented the restaurant.
“I knew something was wrong when I became so tired and for the last few days of my holiday I felt like I spent more time in the hotel room than I did with my family actually enjoying myself.”
It has been reported that TUI UK Ltd, trading as First Choice, settled a number of weeks before a trial was due to begin. The full amount of the pay-out Bradie received was not disclosed.
Holiday Illness Claims – Expert Advice
Shiamli Mehta-Cronie, Travel Law expert here at Hampson Hughes Solicitors, said:
“Cases like these while alarming are unfortunately not uncommon. Poor practices of food and hygiene standards in resorts abroad are on the rise. If you believe that you have contracted food poisoning during a holiday, contact our dedicated Travel Team today for your FREE no-obligation consultation. Whatever your circumstances, we may be able to help you to secure maximum personal injury compensation. For further information, please see our food poisoning abroad claims page.”
For more information as to whether or not you are able to claim compensation following illness whilst on an all-inclusive package holiday, contact Hampson Hughes Solicitors today for free and friendly, no obligation advice on 0800 888 6888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org