Care homes and nursing homes have a legal obligation to ensure that all residents are safe, comfortable and, most importantly, unharmed. Unfortunately, many care homes across the UK have come under scrutiny in recent years with reports of poor care worker standards, levels of negligence and, in severe cases, even abuse.
Placing a family member or loved one into a care home can often be a difficult decision to make, and your choice will have been made in the confidence that a certain level of care will be provided. So, if this trust is broken, you will not only feel that your loved one has been let down, but you will also feel that your trust has been betrayed.
Care home negligence cases
Care home negligence doesn’t just include mistreatment and abuse, it can also include injuries sustained as a result of staff errors or failures. In December 2017, 103-year-old Barbara Doodson, a resident at Reinbek care home in Stockport, sadly passed away after suffering a fall when she was left alone in a care home garden for two hours. Unfortunately, though the care home had been rated as good at its two previous inspections, this incident may have been prevented with better staff supervision.
Other care home negligence cases have included:
- Failing to provide regular bathing, washing and cleaning
- Failure to provide suitable lifting aids, medication or medical attention when needed
- Failure to provide clean bedding and clothing
- Failure to provide enough food or water, which may lead to dehydration and malnutrition
- Failure to provide enough supervision to avoid falls and other injuries
- Failure to prevent pressure sores or ulcers
- Physical abuse, including; assault and bullying, lack of patient care, threatening behaviour, withholding physical care or medical attention.
Care Home Injury and Negligence Compensation
Unfortunately, however vigilant you are when choosing a care home for your family member or loved one, incidents can happen.
If you, or your loved one, has suffered mistreatment or sustained an injury while a resident at a care home that wasn’t your fault, Hampson Hughes’ team of expert serious injury lawyers may be able to help. For free, confidential and no obligation advice about care home negligence claims, call us today on 0151 236 1222.