Tag: sexual assault

Bootle Man Jailed for Sexually Exploiting Teenager

Close up image of person holding a digital camera with lens in forefront

A man from Bootle, Liverpool, has been jailed for ‘sexually exploiting’ a teenage girl.

Indecent images and blackmail

56 year old Levere David Hinds was jailed for three years and eight months after he was found guilty of taking and distributing of indecent images of the girl. He was also convicted of blackmail and sending malicious messages to his 17 year old victim when he appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday 22 May.

Detective Inspector Susan Ennis, of the Protecting Vulnerable People Unit, said after sentencing:

“Merseyside Police take sexual exploitation very seriously and have specially trained officers who can offer support for all victims.

“Child Sexual Exploitation (‘CSE’) is a terrible crime which can affect any family, anywhere. We are, however, determined to play our part in tackling the problem.

“The force is committed to the protection and wider safeguarding issues of young people, and in doing so we will work with partner agencies to investigate and where possible prevent such abuse.

“Every one of us has to play our part in putting a stop to the sexual exploitation of children and we all need to know the signs to look for, including if they are regularly missing school or college, appearing with unexplained gifts and money, mood swings and becoming secretive about their use of social media.”

Anyone who would like to report a sexual offence or who has information is asked to contact Merseyside Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Sexual assault & abuse compensation claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual assault or abuse or by any instance of non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times. For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Groom Who Raped Stranger Hours Before Wedding is Jailed

A 28 year old man has been handed a life sentence for sexual assault after he raped a woman just hours before he was due to get married in January this year.

Derry McCann, 28, raped a woman, 24, as she walked back from an art show in East London. Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how McCann dragged his victim into Victoria Park and subjected her to a two hour long sexual attack, in which he raped her and stole her bra and mobile phone.

Sexual assault – 2006 Attack

The court also heard how McCann was on parole at the time of the January attack. He was jailed in 2006 for sexually assaulting another woman in nearby Mile End Park, in an extremely similar incident.

McCann was just 17 at the time of the 2006 incident and alleged that the sex was consensual. However, he was convicted of one count of robbery, two of sexual assault, one of sexual assault by penetration, one of causing a person to engage in sexual activity, six counts of rape and one of attempted rape.

McCann was sentenced to life in prison, serving a minimum of 3,094 days, but he appealed and was released on parole in December 2015.

Sexual assault – Second incident

Prosecuting, Kate Bex QC told the court that McCann had been drinking with his girlfriend and family in a pub on the night of the latest sexual assault, before leaving for Victoria Park shortly before midnight. CCTV footage captured him following another woman before the one he attacked.

The court heard how he subjected his victim to demeaning sexual acts during a “long drawn out psychological game”, repeatedly asking her “what are we doing”. Bex added that when his victim replied “you are raping me” he appeared to like hearing the phrase.

Arrest & sentencing

McCann was arrested for the sexual assault in January due to the ‘striking’ similarities to the 2006 attack. He pleaded guilty to three counts of rape, sexual assault by penetration and robbery.

Judge Martyn Zeidman, sentencing, told the court McCann would not be considered for parole for at least nine years, adding that it may never happen.

“The parole board will need to appreciate that in my view you are, and are likely to remain, an exceptionally dangerous violent criminal who poses the most dire [sic] risk to women even after the expiry of the minimum term.”

The judge went on to say he was sending a copy of his remarks directly to the board.

Judge Zeidman said:

“Friday 13 January 2017 is a date that your victim will never forget. You behaved as a monster. Raping the victim in every possible way, and doing it in a manner that amounted to torture. Playing mind games, asking her what she thought you were going to do next and taunting her for almost two hours.

“In addition to the physical pain you set out to degrade and humiliate her in ways that are so cruel and gross that I will not identify them any further. I am worried that you might even relish a recital of them.

“Just hours later you married your pregnant girlfriend. I just wonder what sentence you would impose if someone had done this to your wife or female friends.

“This wrongdoing is made even worse by the serious violence that you have carried out before.”

He added that the 2006 offence was a “further horrendous rape with many aggravating features”. The Judge told McCann he had taken his guilty plea and remorse into account when sentencing.

Sexual assault & abuse compensation claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual assault or abuse or by any instance of non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual assault and abuse claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times. For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: Guardian

Vicar Admits Possessing 179 Child Sex Abuse Images

An Essex vicar has recently admitted to being in possession of almost 200 images of child sex abuse.

Child sex abuse images

Chelmsford Crown Court heard how Reverend Peter Low downloaded an assortment of images, some of which depicted the most serious category of child sex abuse.

In total, the 65 year old admitted to possessing 179 images depicting child sex abuse. 55 of those images were classed as indecent, nine of which were said to be at the most serious level. A further 124 images of child sex abuse in the Reverend’s possession were classed as ‘prohibited’.

Guilty plea

Low pleaded guilty to three counts of possessing indecent images of children. He also pleaded guilty to one count of possessing prohibited images of children.

Low, a clergyman of the United Benefice of Heybridge with Langford in Essex, is due to be sentenced on 2 May 2017. As part of his bail conditions he must have no contact with under 18s, unless supervised.

Response from Diocese of Chelmsford

The Diocese of Chelmsford said it was ‘appalled’, adding that online abuse of children “is not tolerated by the church”.

A spokesman for the Diocese went on to say that Low remained suspended from all his duties as a vicar and will face investigation after sentencing. The spokesman added:

“The diocese is appalled that a clergyman has fallen so far short of the standards expected by the church.

“The diocese strives to uphold the highest standards in safeguarding policy, training, practice and disciplinary action.

“The online abuse of children destroys childhoods and devastates society.

“It is not tolerated by the church.”

Sexual abuse claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual abuse or non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse and assault claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times.

For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Greggs Heir Convicted of Child Sexual Abuse

Colin Gregg, the heir to the Greggs bakery chain, has been convicted of historic child sexual abuse.

Denial

The 75 year old from Gosforth, Newcastle, originally denied sexually abusing four boys over a 30 year period, beginning in 1963.

Following a month long trial at Leeds Crown Court, a jury found Gregg guilty of nine counts of indecent assault on boys aged 10 to 14.

The trial in Leeds was a retrial, after a jury in Newcastle last month failed to reach a verdict.

The court heard how the sexual abuse of one of the boys took place in a swimming pool, while others were abused at a gym in Gregg’s home.

Gregg, who was released on bail, will be sentenced on 30 March.

Prison sentence ‘inevitable’

Judge Robin Mairs told the paedophile that the fact he was granting bail was no indication of sentence and that a prison sentence is inevitable. He said:

“These are serious matters and a custodial sentence is inevitable.”

Northumbria Police added that Gregg was “in a position of trust which he used to sexually exploit children”.

A spokesperson for children’s charity the NSPCC said:

“Gregg shamelessly betrayed the trust vulnerable young children placed in him and his sickening campaign of abuse will have had life-long effects on his victims.

“It is thanks to their bravery in speaking out that he’s finally been brought to justice.

“Gregg probably thought he got away with these crimes but this case is proof that victims of abuse will be listened to, no matter how much time has passed.”

Sexual abuse claims – expert advice

If you have been affected by any instance of physical sexual abuse or non-physical sexual abuse, contact us today. We offer expert advice on sexual abuse and assault claims, and we guarantee your confidentiality at all times.

For further information, and to discover how we could help you, begin a conversation with our experienced and friendly team. Call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hampsonhughes.com.

Source: BBC News

Man Found Guilty of Sexual Assault

A 24 year old man has been found guilty of sexual assault after he groped a woman in the South Lakeland area of Cumbria last summer.

Enrico Annunziata was trialled at Carlisle Crown Court this week after he denied the sexual assault charge brought against him. Following a two day hearing in which the female victim gave evidence, jury members found Annunziata guilty of the offence.

During the trail, it was revealed that the offender had previously appeared at the same court charged with a separate sexual assault charge after an incident in 2014 with a different woman.

After hearing the jury’s guilty verdict, Judge Tony Lancaster ordered the probation service to complete a background check on Annunziata, who is due to be sentenced for both offences next month. Annunziata has been remanded on bail in the meantime and has been ordered to sign the sex offender’s register.

Sexual Assault Claims – Expert Advice

Hampson Hughes Solicitors specialises in directing sexual assault and abuse claims in a considerate and compassionate manner.

For an open and friendly conversation about your situation, and to find out how we can assist you relevant to your individual experience, call 0800 888 6 888 or email info@hh-law.co.uk.

You will be given the direct-dial of your case handler, meaning that you will always be able to reach the person you need.

Source: Cumbria Crack